Tuesday, February 28, 2012

$30

There's typically not a lot $30 can get you nowadays. It barely gets you a decent pedicure. It may get you a nice lunch with a girlfriend, maybe an amazing deal on a new pair of jeans (if you shop where I shop)... or it could be just enough to start your whole life.

In one part of the world, $30 provides a woman with an education on women's rights, business skills, and technical skills that will enable her to build a life she once had only dreamed of. She is probably living in a war zone, and has no running water or electricity. She works from the moment the sun rises until the long after the sun sets. She has children, typically more than 5, and is the primary caregiver.  Sometimes she is married, other times she has already lost her spouse, and is caring for everyone on her own. She dreams of being able to just feed her family. She wants to learn how to read and write, and develop skills so she can support her children and make a life for herself.

$30 isn't much to me. I provide that small amount, just once a month, to a woman in Rwanda. Her name is Constance. She has 8 children, a husband, and has feared several times in the last several months that she will be unable to feed her family. There is a life for her that is meant for more. I am humbled by the fact that I am able to help her achieve that life with just $30.

I made a commitment almost two years ago that I would support another woman in this world because I have been blessed with the opportunities that allow me to have a life I am comfortable with. I never have to worry about feeding my family, finding running water, or living with out electricity. I can't put myself in her shoes, but I pray that by helping her with this education, she could perhaps start to envision herself in my shoes.

For a woman to recognize her own worth is like shooting a canon ball from a canon...once you start, there is no stopping it. Constance has the opportunity to find herself and what she is truly capable of. She is my Rwandan sister, and I am so proud to be a part of her life. I encourage you to visit Women for Women International, and be connected with a woman in this world that needs your help. Thousands line up to have access to the education they provide. Most are on a waiting list for months, praying that a sponsor will come into their life.

Because while $30 doesn't seem like much to most of us, it is everything to Constance. Go find out what your $30 is worth.




No comments:

Post a Comment