Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Don't Have Time for Fancy...

Okay, so let's be real about something...unless you have a whole lot of time on your hands, or extra people that just stand around in your kitchen waiting to help you with dinner-we mom's, whether you are working or not, don't have a lot of time to cook an extra fancy meal a few times a week. BUT-you can cook a healthy meal that doesn't take a whole lot of time and still tastes great. That was my challenge about 6 months ago when I knew I had to change my diet because fast food was eating away my bank account, and my grocery shopping spending had to change as well.

So here are a few of my favorite things: well, favorite meals. These are my go-to meals when I do my meal planning twice a month. Keep in mind I'm not using meat in these meals because I'm trying to eliminate meat from my diet...but you can add chicken or turkey into any of these dinners no problem.  And these also make fantastic left overs-another way to stretch your dollar!! I'm all about saving money people...





Couscous and Roasted Veggie

This one is super easy to make! I stock up on couscous because its a fantastic pasta that you can almost add anything to and it tastes great. It's also a great price at the grocery store, and it comes in different flavors (roasted pecan/garlic, olive oil/basil, etc). Nutritional value is good too: in 1 cup/serving can get up to 6 g of protein and 4 g of fiber. 

Just simply prepare the pasta as directed on the box, and while that's cooking, chop your veggies of choice ( I choose squash, zuchinni, mushrooms, broccoli,etc) and put on a cookie sheet to roast for only 10-15 minutes. Season your veggies with salt/pepper, little parmasean cheese, etc. and when they are done combine together on a plate! That's it..super simple and tastes great. 



Lasagna Rolls

I made these just the other night and they turned out friggin fantastic. The longest part is the cooking time, which is about 40 minutes...so save yourself a little extra time when making this one.  

Lasagna noodles cooked (cook as many noodles as you want rolls, I did 10)
Ricotta cheese (small tub)
Mozzarella cheese
about 4 cups of spaghetti sauce
Frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
I used eggplant, mushrooms and zucchini for the filling as well
(btw..I left the veggies raw, they cook nicely in the oven)
Meat of your choice (chicken, turkey, etc)
Italian seasoning/salt and pepper
1 egg 

Combine your ricotta cheese, egg, spinach (after thawing and draining), chopped veggies and cooked meat (if you add meat) into a mixing bowl. Season with Italian seasoning (or just basil/oregano if you don't have Italian seasoning) and salt/pepper.

Take your cooked lasagna noodles, drain them, and pat them dry with a towel once they're out of the strainer. Lay a sheet of wax paper down on the counter and lay your noodles down on the wax paper. Spread your mixture onto the noodle, leaving a little room at the end to roll the noodle and have it stick. Once your mixture is spread, roll the noodle and place it seam side down in your baking dish. Once all your noodles are placed in your dish, ladle your sauce across the rolls, covering them completely. (I used more than the picture shows) Sprinkle your mozzarella and parm cheese across with a little extra salt/pepper. Place foil on top of the dish and bake for 40 minutes on 350 degrees, or until the cheese is golden brown.





Breaded Veggie Bites

Okay I know you're thinking, "only veggies for dinner?" But when I was feeling extra lazy one day, I chopped up the veggies in my fridge, threw some bread crumbs and parm cheese on top and baked them for 15 minutes...they were so damn tasty and filled me up so quickly, I thought to myself...Damn I should have been doing this a long time ago. Plus it makes veggies extra tasty to my 2 year old, who is becoming a pickier eater by the day. 

So obviously this one is super stupid easy...pick whatever veggie you like or have in your fridge. I haven't found a veggie yet that this doesn't taste bad with. You can use bread crumbs, or use planko bread crumbs (they just come out crunchier). Chop and spread them out on your baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle your crumbs on top...add salt/pepper, I used shredded parm cheese on top, but you can add another form of cheese if you wish. Bake at 350 for a short 10-15 minutes. Ta da! 

Okay so if you're still not convinced your family can do just veggies for dinner...add brown rice, couscous or mashed potatoes...just as tasty. 



Black Bean/Veggie Quesadillas


I included the link on this one, because this blog is great and she includes fancy pictures of the step by step process, which, bless her heart I just don't have time to do. The best thing about this meal is you can add/delete whatever you want...so have fun with it! It's becoming a new staple in my house.


Here's some links for you to check out some other meals and websites that may be super helpful in your meal planning...



Happy Dinner Everyone!!
(oh and Happy Valentines Day!)





No comments:

Post a Comment