Thursday, February 23, 2012

Finding the Time...

Since I've had three days off in a row now, and forced to do nothing (thank you wisdom teeth), its made me think of all the stuff I could be doing right now that I'm not. And how I have to be totally fine with that. Here's my current to do list:

1. Do my taxes
2. Drop off bags of clothes/shoes, etc to Goodwill
3. Make a dr.'s appointment for Jacob
4. Buy a dress for my brother's wedding
5. Menu plan and grocery shop
6. Clean the bathrooms
7. Empty the litterbox
8. Do my laundry
9. Clean my room
10. Sleep at some point

Like most, well all, of you..I have a lot to do. Everyday. Everyday I look at the ever growing list of things I need to do so I can just go to work in clean clothes, my son can go to daycare in pants that are crusted over with spaghetti sauce, and my electricity stays on. There's nothing earth shattering on that list. I'm not performing brain surgery or saving a dying kitten. But why is it that it all seems like too much-that time seems to be speeding up and I'm on this treadmill of crap and all I can do is hold on to the rails so I don't slip off the back and go hurdling towards the wall?

Did you notice there's not one thing on that list that puts myself as a "to do"? Yeah I didn't think so. Probably because you don't make time for yourself either. And you can't count going to the bathroom alone as time for yourself. I have to start making time for me. At this point I crash around 8:30-9pm after going non stop since 5 am. I'm desperately trying to fit in a yoga routine at home...this is currently what I look like:






Crap everywhere...maybe grab the yoga mat, maybe not. I'm fine with cat hair in my mouth.  Why is it that we as mothers don't list ourselves anywhere? Because everything else seems far more important than taking time for ourselves. Well I call bullshit.

Every week when I make my to do list..I'm putting myself on there. I may even put myself as number one. (GASP!) And I suggest you do the same.

Don't roll your eyes at me. It's totally possible. Just put on there that you're reading a book for 15 minutes before bed. Or your going to take a hot shower for as long as you want. What ever it is that recharges your batteries...just do it. And no feeling guilty allowed. Because we all know when mom is happy...everyone is happy. It might be hard as balls, but who cares. So is trying to figure out when you're going to fit everything else in. But you do it. Because you're the mom and you're awesome.

There isn't a  Mom Police that will show up at your house the next morning if the dishes don't get done because you decided to read instead. YOU ARE WORTH IT. Just repeat it. Over and over until you believe it. It's time we start putting ourselves first. Whether it is on a list or in your head. 

And as I've been writing this I've thought of twenty five other things I need to be doing right now. But I'm not going to worry about that right now. I'm going to be fine with the dishes in the sink, the clothes on my dresser, and the litter box smell that's taking over my hallway. Okay maybe not that one. That one I'll do cause that's just gross.

But the others can wait.




No comments:

Post a Comment